This comprehensive review for dental assistants serves to familiarize them with the requirements for the Dental Assisting National Board’s Infection Control Examination (ICE). The course provides insight into recommendations for healthcare workers to implement and maintain a safe and healthy work environment for patients and providers in the dental setting. Topics presented will address critical information and current practices for all dental assistants (or auxiliary personnel) required by many states.
Course Objectives: Upon completion of this *interactive program participants will:
- Identify regulations required by OSHA.
- Implement the current CDC and ADA infection control guidelines into a dental setting.
- Describe the modes of disease transmission, infectious disease and their relationship to patients and providers.
- Identify risk factors involved when working with bloodborne pathogens.
- Recognize potential risk factors and discuss prevention of HAV, HBV, HCV, HIV, and TB.
- List the components and proper selection of Personal Protective Equipment necessary for Standard Precautions.
- Identify steps necessary to achieve proficient hand hygiene.
- Choose an effective way to implement work practice and engineering controls.
- List the proper steps for reporting and recording exposure to bloodborne pathogens and needle stick injuries by following a post exposure control plan protocol.
- Identify proper and effective use of surface disinfectants and barriers.
- Implement steps recommended for effective pre-cleaning and sterilization of instruments.
- Identify the benefits of biological spore testing.
- Identify Hazards Communication Standards.
- This review course is NOT the DANB exam.
A personal unique link will be emailed to you when you register on line.
It is a 3.5 hour infection control prep and review.
Unlimited viewing and full control to replay any parts of the webinar for the subscription preiod purchased.
Print out the handouts attached to your course confirmation. The handout follows the webinar. Use the ICE Work Sheet, and take practice exam.
What Technology is Needed?
Connect through your PC, laptop or tablet. Smart Phones will not provide the optimal experience.
Is there any Additional Information?
You must register with DANB to take the ICE exam. DANB will send you a confirmation and instructions to schedule your exam. You have 60 days from the date of your application to schedule the exam with Pearson-Vue testing Center. Beyond 60 days voids your application and payment.
For questions about the exam, go to https://www.danb.org or call 800-367-3262
Original date: 10/13/2020, Expiry date: 10/12/2023
Speaker: Cathie Collier, RDH, B. Ed, MS, is certified in Bloodborne Pathogens and a Dental Hygiene Educator with extensive lecture and practical experience. She received her bachelor’s degree in Dental Hygiene Education from the Fones School at the University of Bridgeport, where she later served as DH Clinical Coordinator. As a national lecturer, she provides training in Occupational Health and Safety, Infection Control, HIPAA Regulations, CPR and Medical Emergencies in the Dental Office.
Disclaimers: As per ADA guidelines, participants must use caution when using limited knowledge in treating patients. It is always recommended to do further research.
CE Provider: Professional Learning Services, LLC (PLS)
PLS is an ADA CERP recognized provider (11/1/2021– 12/31/2025). ADA CERP is a service of the American Dental Association to assist dental professionals in identifying quality providers of continuing dental education. ADA CERP does not approve or endorse individual courses or instructors, nor does it imply acceptance of credit hours by state or provincial Boards of Dentistry.
PLS is designated as an approved Provider by the American Academy of Dental Hygiene, Inc (1/1-12/31/24). Approval does not imply acceptance by a state or provincial Board of Dentistry.
This webinar is designated for the CEUs as indicated. Check your state’s CE regulations for course acceptance.
*Interactivity provided with PLS’s Ask the Speaker feature included with recorded webinars.