This 3 part comprehensive review course is designed to assist the experienced dental assistant. Course content and study guidance provide one of the many available resources to use for test preparation. Depending on the experience and knowledge of the participant, it is strongly recommended to use several resources to prepare for the exam.
Course Objectives: The participant will be able to:
- understand the physics of radiology
- identify the components and production of x-rays
- relate biology to radiation exposure
- recognize the importance of patient safety
- describe safety measures for the patient for radiation protection
- understand terminology related to radiology
- relate radiation exposure to patient and operator safety
- identify the benefits and disadvantages of digital vs film technique and exposure
- understand types of radiographic surveys related to patient selection
- identify the use and benefits of extraoral projections
- recognize components of processing and mounting film
- differentiate radiolucent and radiopaque oral structure
- understand the concepts of contrast and density
- identify dental, head and neck anatomy
- identify radiographic image exposure errors
- understand panoramic exposure and identify anatomy
- recognize 3D (cone beam) imaging
- evaluate different types of dental materials by degrees of radiopacity
- understand the importance of infection prevention
- identify common errors in processing film
- understand test taking strategies and apply it to the RHS exam
- take practice exam and self correct by using reference materials
Course Materials: 11 Course handouts provided with email confirmation upon registration.
*sample test questions
*study guide and web site references
*home study guide of dental and oral anatomy including anatomic landmarks
*guidance and support in the DANB exam application process
About the DANB Exam
Click on the link below or copy and paste to find out the latest information on the RHS exam
DANB.org or 800-367-3262
Qualifications of the Instructor: Ms. Barbara Sheerin
Barbara Sheerin, RDH, M. Ed. Professor of Radiology has decades of experience teaching radiology to dental assistants and dental hygienists at Colleges in Massachusetts. She is a gifted speaker with a unique teaching style that makes complex concepts easier to understand.
Quotes from her audiences:
"Very knowledgeable and compassionate speaker."
"Great audience interaction and energy."
"Very helpful during hands-on!"
"Learned several new tips to improve on."
"Very relaxed and easy to listen to."
"Answered all questions that everyone asked."
"I never heard her before, liked her sense of humor!"
Disclaimer: Participants must be aware that there may be potential risks of using limited knowledge when incorporating techniques and procedures into practice when they have not received supervised clinical experience or demonstrate competency in taking radiographs (X-Rays). This course is strictly a guide to prepare for the RHS exam and does not guarantee results.
CE Provider: Professional Learning Services, LLC (PLS) CT
PLS is an ADA CERP recognized provider (11/2014 – 12/2021). ADA CERP is a service of the American Dental Association to assist dental professionals in identifying quality providers of continuing dental education. ADA CERP does not approve or endorse individual courses or instructors, nor does it imply acceptance of credit hours by state or provincial Boards of Dentistry. Concerns or complaints about a CE provider may be directed to the provider or to the Commission for Continuing Education Provider Recognition at ADA.org/CERP.
PLS is designated as an approved Provider by the American Academy of Dental Hygiene, Inc (1/1-12/31/20) Retain this record as verification of attendance for license compliance requirements.