What’s included in the Kit?
- Your personal access code to view the 3.5 hour PLS ICE Preparation and Review Webinar.
- Unlimited viewing of the webinar between (available by arrangement)
- Full control to replay any parts of this information packed webinar.
- Comprehensive study packet of course materials includes a course handout that follows webinar, ICE Work Sheet, and practice exam to study before the - Question and Answer session.
- Live question and answer webinar session and practice exam review on a scheduled date, to be determined
- Upon completion, the dental assistant will receive a course certificate.
**Access to the recording is by arrangement. You will receive an email with links to the recording and live webinar.
What will the Dental Assistant Learn from the Course?
This comprehensive review for dental assistants serves to familiarize them with the requirements for the Dental Assisting National Board's Infection Control Examination (ICE). A recorded presentation will provide insight into recommendations for healthcare workers to implement and maintain a safe and healthy work environment for patients and providers in the dental setting. Topics presented will address critical information and current practices for all dental assistants (or auxiliary personnel) required by the State of Connecticut, Department of Public Health for infection control.
Upon completion of this program participants will:
- Identify regulations required by OSHA.
- Implement the current CDC and ADA infection control guidelines into a dental setting.
- Describe the modes of disease transmission, infectious disease and their relationship to patients and providers.
- Identify risk factors involved when working with bloodborne pathogens.
- Recognize potential risk factors and discuss prevention of HAV, HBV, HCV, HIV, and TB.
- List the components and proper selection of Personal Protective Equipment necessary for Standard Precautions.
- Identify steps necessary to achieve proficient hand hygiene.
- Choose an effective way to implement work practice and engineering controls.
- List the proper steps for reporting and recording exposure to bloodborne pathogens and needle stick injuries by following a post exposure control plan protocol.
- Identify proper and effective use of surface disinfectants and barriers.
- Implement steps recommended for effective pre-cleaning and sterilization of instruments.
- Identify the benefits of biological spore testing.
- Identify Hazards Communication Standards.
Course Instructor Qualifications
Cathie Collier, RDH, B. Ed, MS, received her bachelor’s degree in Dental Hygiene Education from the Fones School at the University of Bridgeport, where she later served as DH Clinical Coordinator. Her recent accomplishment earned her a master’s degree in health and Healing. As a national lecturer, she provides training in Occupational Health and Safety, Infection Control, HIPAA Regulations, CPR and Medical Emergencies in the Dental Office. She has assisted numerous dental practices throughout New England with program recommendation and practice compliance.
Ms. Collier is a clinical instructor at Goodwin College of Dental Hygiene, serves on faculty at the Emergency Care Institute at Bridgeport Hospital and is a member of the PLS Advisory Board.
As a PLS Core Instructor, Ms. Collier presents continuing education courses to dental offices and study clubs through Professional Learning Services. For information, contact Joyce Turcotte RDH, M.Ed., firstname.lastname@example.org
What Technology is Needed?
Connect through your PC, laptop or tablet. Smart Phones will not provide the optimal experience. Camera is optional. Audio is essential and can be accessed either through your computer’s sound system or by phone dial in.
Is there any Additional Information?
In order to apply for the certification exam, go to DANB.org. Once confirmed, DANB will send you instructions on where to schedule the exam. Please be aware that the application expires 60 days from the date of approval, so make sure you schedule the exam withing the 60 daysDANB will send you a confirmation and instructions to schedule your exam. Here is the contact for the testing center - https://home.pearsonvue.com/Test-takers/A-to-Z-program-list.aspx
For questions about the exam, go to https://www.danb.org or 800-367-3262