Why diagnose and treat breathing, airway/sleep apnea and the contributing oral habits as part of your dental practice?
From birth throughout life, successful breathing is essential for sustaining health as well as dental function. The patients who sit in your chair each day count on you to stay current and entrust you to be their expert as it relates to all things dental. This course sorts through current practices, practical applications, and research to increase confidence for the dentist and dental hygienist to recognize resolve, prevent and or refer.
The participant will:
be introduced to criteria to incorporate airway, sleep, and recommendations for myofunctional therapy as part of the treatment planning process.
recognize sources to stay current in this newer area of airway focused dental practices.
be able to incorporate validated diagnostic protocols into current practice workflow.
• Define the term myofunctional therapy?
• Identify professions who in their scope of practice may become certified myofunctional therapists?
• Describe what myofunctional disorders can be identified in today’s dental practice.
• Name other medical/dental professionals who are needed as part of collaborative care.
• Trace the Evolution of myofunctional care from- beginning to present day.
• Distinguish between anecdotal evidence and proof of concept for MFT and realize research challenges remain.
• Find validated screening tools the dental professional can use for screening during routine dental exams.
• Relate specific medical and dental conditions to Oral Myofunctional Dysfunction.
• Trace the number and types of appointments in a course of care by a therapist.
• Name the 4 endpoints/Goals of Therapy.
• Decide how and if myofunctional therapy will play a role in your dental practice.
Renee Marks, RDH, MS, certified practicing myofunctional therapist and Buteyko breathing instructor
Renee Marks brings over 30 years of experience in clinical dental hygiene and teaching to her lectures. She currently serves as a practice management consultant and periodontal clinical educator for Marnee Management LLC, a consulting company she founded in July 2010. Serving as a practice consultant, lecturer, and consultant educator for Mercer Advisors, she co-authored and was a presenter at the Scottsdale Center for Dentistry for the “Building the Ideal Practice” continuum. The other faculty members included Imtiaz Manji and Dr. Gordon Christensen. She lectured as a Resident Faculty Member for Spear Education where she is presented the “Hygiene Experience” course with Dr. Gary DeWood.
Over the years she created curriculum, authored journal articles, conducted seminars at dental schools, dental hygiene programs, major dental meetings, study clubs and faculty in-service programs. Ms. Marks’ previous experiences include serving as a faculty member, advisor, and alumni director for several colleges at the Pennsylvania State University. During that time, she administered the annual Statewide Allied Health Occupations Education Conference and the Nurse Aide Teaching the Educator program for the Pennsylvania Department of Education. She regularly provides her services to other consulting companies in training needs assessment and curriculum development.
Ms. Marks earned her bachelor’s and master’s degrees from The Pennsylvania State University and a dental hygiene degree from the University of Pittsburgh.
Disclosures: The speaker has no conflicts to disclose.
Disclaimers: As per ADA guidelines, participants must use caution when using limited knowledge in treating patients. It is always recommended to do further research.
CE Provider: Professional Learning Services, LLC (PLS)
PLS is an ADA CERP recognized provider (11/1/2021– 12/31/2025). ADA CERP is a service of the American Dental Association to assist dental professionals in identifying quality providers of continuing dental education. ADA CERP does not approve or endorse individual courses or instructors, nor does it imply acceptance of credit hours by state or provincial Boards of Dentistry.
PLS is designated as an approved Provider by the American Academy of Dental Hygiene, Inc (1/1-12/31/24). Approval does not imply acceptance by a state or provincial Board of Dentistry.
This webinar is designated for 1.5 CEUs. Check your state’s CE regulations for course acceptance.